Sunday, April 26, 2009

Old Men in Hats

I have casually mentioned to a few friends who like the stories I tell that perhaps I should start a blog to talk about my life with my dear husband of almost 38 years, Ernie. And so, my friend Suzan got up this morning and designed and formatted a blog page for me. I have no clue what I’m doing, but here is the story of how I came to name my blog “The Geezer and the Vintage Bitch”.

Ernie is not a patient man. His A type personality would often manifest itself when he was driving behind someone who was going under the speed limit, or not driving at a consistent speed. He finally declared to me one day, that the worst drivers on the road were old men who were wearing hats. “Those geezers should get off the road!” he would often exclaim. This was such a frequent situation over the years that even our children, at a young age, would pipe up from the back seat, “ That guy in front of you must be an old man in a hat!”

About a year ago, Ernie and I were driving home on a busy road during what passes for rush hour in our small town. Ernie was toodling along when I noticed that there was a long line of traffic behind us. I pointed that out to him and suggested that perhaps he should speed up. “Tough,” he responded, “I’m going the speed limit.”

“The speed limit is 80 Km/hour” I said, “and you are only going 60. He grunted something unintelligible, and I looked over at him, and there he was, driving, with baseball cap on his head. “Oh my God,” I screeched. “you have turned into an old man in a hat!!! I am married to a geezer!”

And Ernie whispered with an embarrassed smile on his face, “Bitch!”

And I thought, Bitch? I am over 60, I deserve more respect than that. Puleeeze! I am a vintage bitch!!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. The more you post the more you will have to say. To know you two is to love you. Can't wait to read more and see what your articulate son has to comment.

happyone said...

I've come over from Susan's blog.
Welcome to blogland! :-)
Loved your story. Look forward to reading more!

Unknown said...

Oh Dear! I sound rather like Ernie and I think my other half, John, would agree! I am one of those who drive more slowly now. I am not OLD! I started doing so when fuel was at an all time high and I kept it up. I feel much more relaxed. I still curse and use really blue language at other people, none of whom know how to drive of course.

SandyHam said...

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out how to respond to each comment individually. Susan, we love you too! Happyone and Knitman, I'm very pleased to meet you both - I hope to take a look at your blogs soon. Knitman, if you wear a hat when you drive, then methinks you might be a geezer in training. It does tend to creep up on one - John may have to keep an eye on you!

happyone said...

Don't feel like you have to respond to everyone who leaves a comment. Every one does things differently. Some people don't respond, some go the other persons blog to leave a comment. I personally only respond to a direct question. What every you do is fine. There are no rules. It's your blog do whatever you want to. :-)

Clippers Corner said...

Hi Sandy & Erine

Love your story.I know you both are made for each other. Both of you are so easy to get along with. I love your vists when it's time to get the kids groomed. See you soon.
Ann
Clippers Corner
Dog Grooming Salon